9.17.2009

Recent Review

It took me a while to notice it, but I see that there is a nice review online of my 2009 CCCC video prezzy. The presentation is on YouTube in two parts that pop up if you Google "desktop mcing."

From the review, written by Missy Nieveen-Phegley:

Schaffner’s work, and the work of emerging scholars employing new media as a vehicle for their scholarship, challenges our perception of academic scholarship and requires us to redefine it, both in how we recognize what constitutes “valid” scholarship and in how we reward it through tenure and promotion review processes.


Here at UIUC, this kind of presentation seems to exist on the periphery of institutional evaluation. I mean, it counts, but not any more than a regular conference paper. "It's just a conference presentation," in a sense. One cool thing about experimenting with new media at conferences, I think, is that there is a lot of free space to do something new; a downside is that there is little recognition for it. A conference prez is a conference prez.

Anyway, I'm using the Desktop MCing approach in two more conference presentations this year: one at SLSA in Atlanta, and another at CCCC in Louisville. I've pretty much eliminated the talking head from the mashup of media elements, and I'm ramping up the pacing in terms of how quickly things come atcha. We'll have to see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment