2.01.2008

Video Writing Journal R.I.P.

If you're a frequent reader, lurker, or interloper here at El Blog, you will note that what was once the fabled Video Writing JournalTM is now toast.* Toast as in poof.

After five months (August 30, 2007 — January 28, 2008) of publishing the video journal online, I decided to nix it. Doing the journal was a fun online experiment, though, so I thought it might be worth posting a bit about it.



Strangely, I haven't been able to find too many other video objects online called "video writing journals." Given how valuable journaling (online or elsewhere) can be for writers, I'm surprised more folks aren't posting online writing journals. But maybe that's just me.

Oh, and I should say that I'm not going to stop using the journal; I'm just no longer posting it online.

Breakdown:



Things I Liked About the Project

I really liked the way the video worked, like most writing journals I've kept, to keep me accountable as a writer. I don't know exactly why, but there is something about sitting down and saying/writing "Today, I'm gonna get crackin' on that conclusion" that keeps that goal in focus for the day.

It was also nice to be doing something new on a blog that I've never seen before. New web projects keep me going; it's that simple.

I also liked the times the video was funny. Sometimes it was decidedly not funny, but when it was goofy, I liked that.


Downsides of the Project

The biggest downside of the project is something I blogged about a week or so ago: the damn videos got syndicated all over the place. At first I thought this wasn't a big deal. So what if the videos were showing up on other sites? But after a while, it started to bug me. The nature of media objects online right now is simply that there are a ton of sites out there trying to capitalize on video content, and this means that video posts of the kind I was putting up there were/are distributed far and wide.

Another downside is the oppression I've always felt with online composition projects that rely on regular, habitual composition. I just don't write/compose that way. There were many days when posting to the journal was natural, fun, and seemed like the right thing to do. But there were many other days when it was the last thing on my mind, yet neglecting the project seemed like a shame. I'm simply not a guru of regularity-based online projects in the way that some proj-gurus clearly are.

Oh, then there is the weird way that Revver.com, the site I chose to host the videos, kicks back payola to members. And after I realized this, there was nothing I could do to keep Revver from putting small change in my account for the videos. Serious chump change, but the commodification of the whole thing really wrecked it for me. Of course, I could have bumped the hosting over to The Tube, but once I had the Revver viewer on my site, I kind of liked it. Oh, the conflict and turmoil that was the Video Writing JournalTM! ;)

Here's what Revver owes me.



------------------

* Kind of a funny folkonomy thing: I tagged every post in the journal with "toast," so if you do a search on Revver for that term, the journal pops up in weird ways. My little tagging experiment.

1 comment:

  1. A "toast":
    So long, video writing journal. It was nice watching you; you made me laugh, and also made me ask questions about my own habits and whatnot. Thanks for the experiment, Spencer!

    ReplyDelete