4.25.2007

Handwritten Websites

When I teach web writing (mainly in the class we have on the books here at UIUC called "Writing Technologies"), I teach students various ways to create handwritten (or seemingly handwritten websites). These sites are usually fun to read, but they also illustrate the technological parking lot that is the web.

Of course, that publishing powerhouse The Perfect Speling Press has a handwritten website, but the real master of the genre is Eugene Hsu. Hsu tags his images to make them accessible to users browsing via screenreaders; the tagging also makes his site indexed when you search for such things as robots and orange drinks.



Something or someone somewhere recently brought me to a handwritten website by Miranda July; she writes her site first on her refrigerator and then on her stove. It's a sequence of pages that starts HERE and cycles through about a dozen images.



Maybe I should start blogging in handwriting as a sort of antithesis to the cell-phone blog.

6 comments:

  1. HELLO!!! THIS IS EUGENE! THANKS FOR MENTIONING MY WEBSITE!!! I FOUND YOUR BLOG THROUGH MY WEB ACCESS LOGS AND IT IS VERY INTERESTING.

    THERE IS SOMETHING ABOUT A HANDWRITTEN LETTER (LIKE THERE IS WITH SPEECH) THAT CAN CONVEY MORE SUBTLETY AND EMOTION THAN SMILEYS AND STUFF LIKE THAT :-/.

    THAT'S WHY I THINK IT'S NEAT TO HAVE HANDWRITTEN WEBSITES, BECAUSE IT TELLS YOU SOMETHING ABOUT THE WRITER. EVEN NOW AS I WRITE IN ALL CAPS IT'S HARD TO TELL IF I AM COMPUTER-ILLITERATE, AGGRESSIVE, OR JUVENILE.

    I AM GOING FOR JUVENILE BY THE WAY!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eugene's comment is, btw, awesome.

    I hit the MJ site probably by the same route as you, too. These always remind me of ps press, btw. Always.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EUGENE! YOUR WEBSITE IS VERY FUN AND COOL AND ALL OF MY STUDENTS LOVE READING IT AND PLAYING AROUND WITH YOUR STUFF! I ALSO LOVE READING IT! YOU ARE FUNNY! FUNNY STUFF IS GOOD! BYE-BYE!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:23 AM

    I can't believe you gave away the dry erase reveal!

    and who is something or someone somewhere? are you talking about me?

    -maybe something or someone somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post, Spencer.

    Have you used Flash for handwriting sites? Perhaps you are not interested in Flash, but I figured I'd ask.

    BTW - I'm in the UW Grad English Dept.

    Hope all's well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Flashadelic! I haven't gone that route, preferring either GIMP or the old Sharpie, but I can see your point.

    Hope UW is treating ya well! :)

    ReplyDelete