2.28.2007

Unofficial St. Patrick's Day Coming to Town

Dedicated readers of this blog may remember that, last year at about this time, I posted a bit (go here and scroll down) about the local vernacular student "holiday" known as Unofficial St. Patrick's day.

Well, this annual drunken, anti-scholastic ritual is this Friday, and higher-ups at the University have been trying to get things under control. Thank you higher-ups.

Last year, chaos prevailed in many ways, so I wasn't surprised to see a message in my inbox with this section:
Roaming team members, wearing their University IDs as nametags and identified as university officials, may be summoned to assess problematic situations. Teams will be prepared to document any apparent Code violations and call University Police if necessary. However, instructors and students are encouraged to report emergencies directly to METCAD at 911 (or, from a campus phone, 9-911).

In the two largest lecture halls on the Quad (Foellinger Auditorium and Lincoln Hall Theater), both of which experienced significant vandalism during last year’s event, students will be asked to surrender liquids prior to entry. This represents enforcement of standing policies that prohibit food and beverages in these venues.

Yes, it was bad last year; I still think of Unofficial St. Patrick's Day as an anti-scholastic protest movement on my campus. Photos and comments to follow; I don't teach on Friday, so I'll have plenty of time to roam around with my camera.

5 comments:

  1. Rampant public debauchery. Ah, memories.

    Any predictions for how many electrocutions--er, I mean, taserings--will take place in CU Friday?

    ReplyDelete
  2. place your bets, place your bets! (but in all seriousness: we're trying to keep it a mellow affair)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's Friday too! So my hope is that you'll find an undergraduate lying on the quad with a to do list taped to his or her head.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous2:17 PM

    As I drove through campus this morning to the gym (around 9am) things seemed less lively than I expected. Admittedly, I didn't drive past the key bars (Kams, etc), but I think the weather and people being all bundled up over their green t-shirts also diminished the air of festivity to a certain extent.

    j

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous1:13 PM

    I don't really get what this event is. Is it like Cedar Fest at MSU?

    -tt

    ReplyDelete